Monday, February 27, 2006

Going for Gold!

I've been meaning to post about the Olympics for at least a couple of weeks now. Both the Winter Olympics in Turino and the Knitting Olympics.

First the Winter Olympics. I've been a fan of figure skating since the 2004 Winter games, so I love the Winter Olympics. I have to say that I wasn't too surprised that Sasha fell, though I love her and I'm glad she got a medal.It will be interesting to see if she goes pro now or tries for gold in 2010, much like Michelle Kwan tried to do this year. As for Michelle, who is one of my favorite skaters, I was sad for her that she didn't get to compete in the Olympics, but I thought she should have gone pro a couple of years ago. I also thought that Kimmie and Emily did great for Team USA. And don't even get me started on what a little weirdo Johnny Weir is.

In the last couple of winter Olympics, I've come to love snowboarding - it's such an American sport - and I've even learned to appreciate most of the skiing events - though cross country seems boring. I even watched a little hockey and a little curling - funny but a little goes a long way. All in all, I enjoyed the Torino games and can't wait for Vancouver.

Now, the Knitting Olympics. Since I feel that I am still a beginner, I chose not to enter the KO. There were over 3000 participants, so someone had to sit on the sidelines. Even though I was not an official participant, I did challenge myself over the last two weeks. I started and finished my first sock (pictures will be posted after I've completed its mate) and I started an Irish Hiking Scarf and learned how to do cables. I'm only about 12 inches into the scarf (which I'm making for Lorelei's dad) but I'm really happy with the way the cables are turning out. So I feel that I challenged myself, grew as a knitter and will definitely enter the KO next time.

No comments: